How can we enhance routine screening?: Strengthening identification and response to domestic violence in the antenatal care setting
ANROWS webinar hosted in March 2020.
Women are not safe in mental health inpatient units. Research has found that women staying in mental health inpatient units experience gender-based violence in many forms perpetrated by other patients, intimate partners and ex-partners, and staff. The physical environment and some treatment processes can also contribute to women feeling unsafe during their inpatient stays.
Drawing on findings from ANROWS research led by Dr Juliet Watson of RMIT University titled “Preventing gender-based violence in mental health inpatient units”, this panel of advocates, researchers and practitioners discuss:
- women’s experiences of gender-based violence in inpatient mental health units
- how current practices are not keeping women safe
- what changes can be made to improve mental health inpatient services.
This webinar is designed for:
- policymakers and practitioners working in mental health services
- practitioners who work with women who have accessed mental health inpatient units
Dr Juliet Watson
Professor Jayashri Kulkarni
Monash Alfred Psychiatry Research Centre (MAPrc)
Mental Health Legal Centre
Professor Penelope June Weller