Australian Government Department of Social Services: Successor plan for the National Framework for Protecting Australia’s Children 2009–2020
This submission utilises both ANROWS and external research to reflect upon the strategies, strategic priorities and priority groups outlined in the consultation paper.
The consultation paper was put out by the Australian Government Department of Social Services to invite feedback on the successor plan for the National Framework for Protecting Australia’s Children 2009–2020 (the National Framework).
The ANROWS submission focused on reducing silos between various national plans and sectors, reducing the impact of intergenerational trauma, meeting the needs of children and young people with harmful sexual behaviours, and ways to keep children visible in adult interventions.
The submission recommend the successor National Framework should:
- indicate clearly how the successor plans to the National Plan to Reduce Violence against Women and their Children 2010–2022 and the National Framework interact with each other to ensure that work and resources are not duplicated or siloed across different sectors
- prevent and reduce the intergenerational impact of childhood trauma via pre- and postnatal care and screening for abuse and violence, trauma-informed parental and family support programs, and early intervention for children exposed to trauma
- ensure that the needs of children and young people with harmful sexual behaviours are specifically addressed in this National Framework
- ensure increased attention and focus is given to strategies, programs and resources that recognise adults as parents and enhance visibility of their children in domestic and family violence, alcohol and other drugs, and mental health interventions
- use the insights from Working across sectors to meet the needs of clients experiencing domestic and family violence to enhance collaboration and integration across the service system as it relates to children with experiences of family violence
- draw upon the expertise and evidence base (both existing and underway) at ANROWS when addressing the priority groups outlined in the successor plan to the National Framework.
The resulting successor framework, Safe and Supported: the National Framework for Protecting Australia’s Children 2021–2031, can be accessed on the Department of Social Services website.
Australia’s National Research Organisation for Women’s Safety. (2021). Successor plan for the National Framework for Protecting Australia’s Children 2009–2020. [Submission]. ANROWS.