Project summary - RP.17.07
This project will explore and document the experiences of gender-based violence occurring in inpatient mental health units to inform how policy and practice can be improved to make these environments safe for women. The project will investigate the circumstances in which gender-based violence is occurring as a result of inpatient mental health stays and what could have prevented the violence from occurring. The research will use as its foundation the involvement of women who have experienced violence and draw on their knowledge to provide recommendations for future prevention and to promote the best interests and safety of women. The research will be informed by two research questions:
- What are the experiences of gender-based violence for women staying in adult inpatient mental health units?
- How can these experiences inform and improve policy and service delivery?
Dr Juliet Watson, Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (Early Career Researcher)
- Dr Chris Maylea, Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology
- A/Prof Suellen Murray, Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology
- A/Prof Russell Roberts, Charles Sturt University
- Mental Health Legal Centre Inc.
- NorthWestern Mental Health
Women with disability (as explicit topic).